Art and photo credit by Karen (along with the video)
Karen is a mold warrior. Exposure at work made her sick. She felt like she was going to die. Traditional doctors dismissed her illness as “stress”. She used retirement funds to get help and saw a mold doctor. She was diagnosed with CIRS (Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome) and MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity). She describes brain swelling and inflammation as “a very bad thing” when exposed to mold, gasoline, cigarette smoke, and perfume. Her painting above is titled “Brain On Fire”. Many environmentally poisoned individuals describe the brain inflammation in this way.
This video also paints the picture of the chaos, the fear, the panic and the solitude many mold sick people endure. All in an effort to seek safe housing and safe air. Many are alone and limited in their ability to participate in the things that used to bring them joy. But, despite the struggle, or perhaps even because of the struggle, Karen is definitely somebody.